Fifteenth Annual Survey Exhibition Sponsored by Pacific New Media Foundation.February 1-10, 2024, Downtown Art Center, Opening Reception, First Friday, February 2, 2024 + Online
To celebrate our 15th Annual Contemporary Photography in Hawai‘i, we are excited to announce several new developments to our Statewide juried exhibition for photographers.
- We are sponsoring both an in-person and online exhibition. Contemporary Photography in Hawai‘i 2024 will be hosted by the Downtown Art Center (DAC), from February 1-10, 2024. Due to the size of the DAC main exhibition hall, we will be able to physically exhibit more entries than ever before with fewer size restrictions.
- PNM will exhibit at DAC all the juried individual entries and two or three complete portfolios that win the PNM Portfolio Awards chosen by the juror. The rest of portfolio entries will be exhibited online.
- Since PNM enrollment is now international for our online programs, we are instituting a new category for the Portfolio submissions called Friends of Pacific New Media. Any member of our PNM community who does not live in Hawai‘i but has taken PNM classes in the past two years is eligible to be part of the online Portfolio component of the show.
Submission Deadline: DEADLINE EXTENDED FROM DECEMBER 1 TO MONDAY, DECEMBER 4, 10am
This year’s exhibition will be hosted by Downtown Art Center + ONLINE and will feature two components:
1. A juried selection of individual images selected from individual entries from the State of Hawai‘i.
2. A set of juried portfolios consisting of a minimum of 8 and a maximum of ten images on a theme with an artist’s statement will be exhibited online with 2-3 PNM Portfolio Award recipients also exhibiting in the physical DAC component of the show.
Exhibition will be open at DAC on February 1, 2024 with an Opening Reception at DAC on First Friday, February 2, 2024. Exhibition available online on February 15, 2024
This juried exhibition is open to all artists in Hawai‘i using photographic processes: analog or digital, color or B&W, alternative processes and mixed media explorations. Contemporary Photography in Hawaii 2024 offers artists a venue for showing their work and provides a snapshot of the “state of the art” of photography in Hawaii.
Hawaii residents, amateurs and professionals, are welcome to submit images.
- Individual images must have been created within the past two years and not previously exhibited in a public exhibition (excluding your own website or social media).
- Open to photographers living in the state of Hawai‘i.
- Work must be original.
- Portfolio work must have been created in the past five years, represent an exploration on a theme, and must be accompanied by a 250-word artist’s statement saved in MS Word, Apple Pages, or Google Docs. For those photographers with bodies of work, we highly encourage you to consider this option of showing your work in a more in-depth exploration.
- You may enter both the juried individual image exhibition and the juried portfolio exhibition, but not with the same work.
- Friends of Pacific New Media may enter for the online exhibition only.
Thursday, November 9, 7-8:30 pm (Hawaii Standard time): For help with entries: Preparation of Images for Contemporary Photography in Hawai‘i 2024, FREE ZOOM session, with David Ulrich, if you need assistance selecting, submitting, or sizing your entries.
Monday, December 4, 10am (Hawaii Standard time): Image submission and fees due
Monday, December 18
Thursday, February 1, 2024: Exhibition opens. Online exhibition opens on February 15
How to Prepare Files for Submission
Please read carefully:
For INDIVIDUAL images:
- Register/Pay for submission on this page; for questions call (808) 955-4212 or email email@example.com
- Entry fee $35 for
firstentry, $5 per additional image. Maximum 5 images
- Submit in JPEG format
Longestdimension should be 2000 pixels
- Maximum File Size: 3 MB
- File names: First initial + Last Name + entry number (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).jpg
- Image Title, if any
- Accepted entries will need to be framed and delivered (or shipped) to DAC by Saturday, January 27, 2024 between 11am and 4pm. Maximum frame size = 32″X44″
- Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-955-4212.
For PORTFOLIO entries:
- Register/pay below; for questions call (808) 955-4212 or email email@example.com
- Entry fee $65 for 8-10 images. Minimum of 8 and
maximumof 10 images.
- Submit in JPEG format
Longestdimension should be 2000 pixels exactly. Maximum File Size for images: 3 MB. Place in foldertitled with your first and last nameFile names: Entry number in two digits (01,02, etc) followed by your first initial and last name.jpg. The sequence of entry numbers is how the juror will see the work.
- Save your artist’s statement (maximum 250 words) in MS Word, Apple Pages, or Google Docs with your images.
- Include a list saved in MS Word, Pages, or Google Docs with image number, title of work, medium of original (digital photo, scanned negative, alternative process, etc.) and frame size when printed.
- After payment, submit entire portfolio folder by email (please do not submit loose, individual images) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please do not use Cloud services (Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive) to submit photos UNLESS you are not able to email the folder. Email is the most effective method of delivery for our purposes.
- Subject heading for
- For the sake of consistency in the online exhibition, work will be disqualified if it does not adhere to the requisite sizing and naming conventions or if the folder does not include the artist’s statement and image list.
- Questions: email@example.com or (808) 955-4212.
Vendor Sponsors and Awards
Pacific New Media Juror’s Award
Pacific New Media Portfolio Award
Pro Camera Hawai‘i
Art Source and Designs